Friday, September 11, 2009

Baking Fail.

Hi. I baked today. I spent all day around this baking thing. I'm supposed to be at a commercial audition for a "young mom" for Wii, but instead I acted like one. Baking. And the shopping for the baking, and the cleaning after the baking. The part I'm missing? The enjoying of the eating and the sharing of the baking for others to enjoy. Cause I'll leave these out for my roommates, and I'll bring some in for my staff at work, and I'll probably eat some out of spite when I'm drunk tonight, but for the most part, here's the story: Fail.

I decided that I'm a master at substituting ingredients in baking recipes. Pffft, butter and sugar? White flour? I don't need you!
I decided all this before I really tried doing it. I mean, I've tried it before: everytime I've ever baked, when I looked at the recipe I thought "really? You put that much butter in there? I can do something about that." and "no way. That's ridiculous to put in flour and sugar." I might help myself (help you) if I ever learned how these things really work. Like, what the egg actually does and how the flour works and that measuring is worth it even if you have to wash the cups. Then I might be able to substitute and bake from the top of my head.

Instead, I just decided I was a master. So I looked at some recipes yesterday, perfect procrastination fuel for whatever work I was trying to do, but of course I didn't do it thoroughly and write down any recipe stuff. I was successful, however, at that procrastination part. Check.

So today after a workout with all the young moms (9 am. right after they drop off the kids at school), I was feeling just the right amount of domestic, and went to whole foods, where I spent an hour buying about 10 things, of which I wasn't sure I was going to use any. I got a bunch of nuts and some goji berries from the bulk section, and lots of "healthy" "organic" "raw" substitute stuff, like some trubadeaur (whatever) cane sugar and agave nectar and some special molasses and toasted wheat germ. That last one was in some recipe. I don't remember which one, but I remember reading it. And it was 2 for $6, so of course I got two.

Here's what happened: I made some protein bars (not bad ... because they're not supposed to be delish), I made some ginger molasses "cookies" (um, bad), and some "everything but the crap" cookies - my major deconstruction of a pastry (kinda really bad, but some bites - the ones with chocolate chips- are tolerable).

I have to go to work now, so I can't write out the recipes I used and the things I learned, but it's soon to come. I'll also have an update on how others feel about them. I don't think I'm going to be pleasantly surprised. But, I gotta run, cause, as they say "better keep your day job"....

No comments:

Post a Comment